Friday, February 12, 2010

Chinese Christmas

So Chinese New Year officially starts tomorrow night and it's gonna be a ghost town for a couple of days.  Everybody stocks up on groceries and basically goes into Chinese Christmas mode.  You'll see a lot of people wearing sweats, trying to forage for food.  Families will gather around, eat ridiculous amounts of fatty food, and gamble their savings away.  Children receive red envelope and are suckered into gambling with their elders (who then completes the full circle and takes the red envelope back.  Evil bastards.)


Speaking of which, I've been debating about this one.  How do I raise my kids in terms of holidays?  Is there Christmas?  AND Chinese New Year?  Do they receive awesome gifts AND a fat red envelope?  I'm not particularly religious, so Christmas might simply be a pseudo commercial holiday with Santa Clause conveniently thrown in.  And then there's the concept of the red envelope money.  On the one hand, I'm all for giving the kids money and then letting them figure out how they should handle their own finances.  On the other, I'm pretty sure the adage that says "the only way to teach your kids about money is by not having any" holds true too.  I don't think I ever saved a penny from my red envelopes.  Nor did I really save the money to buy anything meaningful.


Holidays have always been magical, so I definitely want to include that as part of their childhood.  I hope I figure this one out before my kids are spoiled rotten.


In the meantime, I'm thinking about buying these all star game sneakers to, um, celebrate the holidays.


EAST:                                                

























WEST:



Oh yeah, forgot about this video clip I wanted to share.  I think this fight has one of my gym's coach fighting another gym down south.  The jaw dropper comes at 1:23.




3 comments:

  1. Lol. That video is hilarious. The behind the back punch looked so badass. I can't imagine you'd get much power out of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote East. And is there a kid on the way we should know about...? Little holiday present to the world ;P

    P.S. I have never found a blog so hard to comment on...I think yours hates me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that punch is solely used to taunt the opponent after too much fouling/clinching. Neat trick though.

    East is hard to match with clothes, fun to wear. Great for kids. ;)

    My blog officially eats comments for breakfast. I blame the legendary feast of 150+ comments.

    ReplyDelete