Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Be like water, my friend. Watahhh!!!

Masochistically, I enjoy lining up for concerts, new releases, and limited edition items.  More often than not, the initial drive to line up is simply sparked by an impulse to capture the moment.  Concerts are magical.  New releases offer a breath of fresh air.  And limited edition, well, let's just say if I only have limited personal space, I would prefer the items that I own had significant intrinsic "values" for ownership. 


So I guess it's no surprise that I lined up overnight for the Kobe V Bruce Lee edition sneakers.  With only 120 pairs available in Taiwan, the forums were ablaze with updates on where to line up for the best possible chance of getting the size you want (Taiwanese people have smaller feet, size 9 and 10 are the most sought after.)  And with crazy demand comes the dilemma of how to fairly distribute the product.  Do they all go to the people who can line up overnight?  Or the people with the fattest wallets?  The official release has to try to appear fair though, lest the media goes nuts with the negativity coverage.  So out comes the lottery system!  If a store is set to receive 20 pairs, then they will let 40 people line up.  Out of the 40, everyone has a 50/50 chance of getting one.  And if you don't get one, line up at the next store!  


Oh it's brutal all right.  Some guy waited in three lines before finally getting one.  But is it any wonder when you design a shoe drawing inspirations from this:




And this?



No, this was simply something that you endure a night's worth of mosquito biting, rain dripping, and random sneakerhead bantering for. 




Watahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!



Also, I've been listening to The XX for the last three days.  Great for some quiet listening (like half dazed line ups.)  The ending of their song Basic Space has me hooked so badly.

1 comment:

  1. Those look pretty cool, but it's hard for me to get excited about Bruce Lee shoes after seeing shoes that'll let me run through the forest like a Na'vi.

    ReplyDelete