Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Oscars!

The Oscars are just around the corner, and much like any "connoisseur" event, it's much better if you do your hw.  So before February 26th, I would love to see the following films.  This doesn't include the entire list of nominees, but these are the ones that interest me most.  I have about 30 days to take on these 8 movies that interest me the most, so roughly 2 pieces a week shouldn't be that rough.  And here are the nominees, in no particular order:

Hugo: Set in 1930s Paris, an orphan who lives in the walls of a train station is wrapped up in a mystery involving his late father and an automaton.

People in my major will NOT stop talking about this!  Scorsese's first film in 12 years not starring Leonardo DiCaprio; James Cameron openly praised this as the best use of 3D, even trumping his own films; and ELEVEN Oscar nominations.  Not only does the movie seem to inspire conversation, people seem to want to research the original book and time period.  Should be a good one.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: In the bleak days of the Cold War, espionage veteran George Smiley is forced from semi-retirement to uncover a Soviet agent within MI6's echelons.


Gary Oldman.  Gary Oldman.  Gary Oldman.  He has NEVER won an Oscar before.  WHAT?  Since I first watched him in Leon: The Professional, I have never been disappointed by his performance.  And he's had A LOT.  Sure, it's going to be tough to win the leading actor category, but man would it be sweet.  Oh, and the plot sounds perfect for him.


The Tree of Life: The story centers around a family with three boys in the 1950s. The eldest son witnesses the loss of innocence. 


The plot sounds simple enough, but Brad Pitt and Sean Penn are two actors I can just watch.  Even if they have the smallest roles, they're strong examples of undeniable screen presence.  Plus, my twitter was aflame about this and I really should've caught this on the plane.


The Ides of March: An idealistic staffer for a newbie presidential candidate gets a crash course on dirty politics during his stint on the campaign trail.


During this year of elections (Taiwan just had one), this movie should be incredibly relevant and get us in the mood for the end of the year.  Also, Clooney's accolades just doesn't slow down.  His trophy room must take an awful lot of time to clean by now.


The Descendants: A land baron tries to re-connect with his two daughters after his wife suffers a boating accident.


Another Clooney movie!  This trailer actually caught my eye with subtle acting that doesn't permeate comedies/soaps enough.  Alexander Payne (director of Sideways, About Schmidt) usually nails this perfectly.  Also, set in Hawaii.  I need to see some sunshine/beaches in my life right now.


War Horse: Young Albert enlists to service in WWI after his beloved horse, Joey, is sold to the cavalry. Albert's hopeful journey takes him out of England and across Europe as the war rages on.


Spielberg!  Unbelievably, his first film to be edited digitally!  He also does war/drama films like no other, so this should be an enjoyable one.


The Artist: Hollywood, 1927: As silent movie star George Valentin wonders if the arrival of talking pictures will cause him to fade into oblivion, he sparks with Peppy Miller, a young dancer set for a big break.


Along with Hugo, this movie has suddenly taken the Oscar race by storm.  10 noms and by gods, it's a silent film!  I don't even know how my viewing experience of this will be, but I'm ever so curious.


The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom: Survivors in the areas hardest hit by Japan's recent tsunami find the courage to revive and rebuild as cherry blossom season begins.

Tears will be shed.  But when I'm mentally prepared, I do enjoy movies that celebrate human tenacity.  Aftershock was my last disaster movie and there was not a pair of dry eyes in the theater.  Let's see what happens this time.

1 comment:

  1. I was completely mistaken about the Hugo movie's theme. I have no idea why, but for some reason, I had gotten it in my mind that Hugo was about a cartoon elephant. I'm guessing from Horton. ::shrugs:: thanks for opening my eyes up to this movie. I may now go see it. -MS

    ReplyDelete