Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Change, but not at the cost of freedom


Wikipedia is going down for a day in protest of SOPA/PIPA, and I believe most people support Jimmy Wales' logic.  Piracy is a serious issue, but taking away freedom is definitely the path to the dark side.  I'm actually quite surprised that such an aggressive bill came at this specific time frame.  Most of us probably aren't entirely guilt free when it comes to piracy, but I was rather happy to note at the end of last year, I barely had any incentive to resort to piracy.  Free services like google docs, pandora, hulu, and sites like "http://www.canistream.it/" help a lot.  And I was especially pleased with the introduction of reasonable price points.  Netflix, Spotify, Kindle, Steam, and various apps all have fees that I gladly pay.  It doesn't feel like price gouging.  It feels good to support art.  So while I'll be at my dumbest tomorrow (and possibly shirking all social contacts), ah, what's that quote by Gabe?  "I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."

1 comment:

  1. I love the blackout approach by so many main sites. I feel like only the internet could bring so many people into the world of politics. Well played, internet, well played.

    ReplyDelete